Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Perfect Day

There are moments when upon completion of the day, when I take a moment to reflect, that I realize life is just as I had hoped it would be. Every so often, when diving into the recesses of my brain, it dawns on me that I had a perfect day.

Today was a perfect day.

To an outsider, nothing spectacular happened today, but for me, it was a day that I hope to always remember. I do believe that given the opportunity each and every one of us is capable of having the perfect day. On this perfect day, I did not go any place special or have any visitors, but I did have a moment when what I once thought was black and white came into color. You see, the past couple years came with their fair share of trials, and I began to feel that pang associated with a sadness that runs deep. My world looked black and white, and while I was happy, I was not the utter contented happy I knew I could be. I have been praying for God to heal my heart, to fill my heart to the point of overflowing so that I may love my family to the best of my ability.

And then without even thinking about it, God painted my world in the most beautiful colors. As I stood in the backyard, listening to hymns, and working the earth beneath my feet, I noticed the golden hues dancing across the setting sun.

Sweat began to bead up on my brow, dirt collected under my fingernails. My heartbeat picked up and my body warmed with the blood pulsating from within. I felt alive, from my soul to my body. As I worked, I prayed to God, thanking Him for all He has done and continues to do in my life and in that of my family's.

When the work was all done, I sat quietly on the front porch, content to just be. The wind whipped and whistled around me, the hymns played softly in the background. My heart filled with gratefulness for the life I have been given and for this perfect day.

There are days when life is a storybook.


And on these days, I hope my story reads that this one perfect day will forever be carried in my heart, as a reminder of God's promise and of His undying love. My Christmas gift will not come nestled beneath the tree, but you can bet that I will be relishing in all the golds and greens, reds and whites. I will be looking and living with a heart wide open, a gift too large to wrap up and stamp with a bow.

2 comments:

Laura said...

nodded my head YES through out all of this.

we seem to be on the same journey...at the same point..

and grateful is too small a word to describe what is exploding in my heart!

you sound wonderful...

i have missed you...and I am back :-)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Beautiful!

God is so good...

Deanna