Thursday, August 22, 2013

Praying More than Talking

We had a nasty virus hit our house the past two weeks, and with it came the abrupt silence on yee old blog.

I was down for the count, doing my best to just work and make meals for the table. My day to day, got up and left with my get up and go.

I've been known to nurse a cough for weeks on end, and I am hoping that my cough will soon leave me be, and that I can get back to figuring out how to do most of it all. Luckily, the hubby managed to steer clear of the bug and the kiddo, while he did get sick, seemed to bounce back pretty quickly after the doctor prescribed a few meds for an upper respiratory infection.

Beyond all the illness, I have found that with the current state of the house, I have found myself praying more than ever.

I pray for families with sick kiddos and the strength to endure those days. I pray for rain and for the farmers, for a bountiful and fruitful harvest in the fields. I pray for the garden out back, a blessing for the table. I pray for continued health for my husband and son. I pray that my own body would recover, quickly. I pray that I would do my best every day at work, and that my job, would continue to be a blessing in our home.

And then, I pray for the really heavy things.

I pray that God would remove fear from my life, that I would live to be a blessing to others. I pray for God to mold me and shape me, to help me become a better wife and mother. I pray for the seed of contentment and the ability to recognize when I am coveting someone else's home, achievements, abilities, etc. I pray that the pangs of the past would release me from my apprehensions and aversions.

But above all, I pray with thanksgiving. My eyes have been a little teary lately, as I look around at all that I have. There is a moment almost every night, when dinner is done, the house is settling down, and we all join together in the living room. There is so much laughter that the walls seem to bellow with us. We play with toys and puzzles, we cuddle and share hugs, we give piggy-back rides, and play fetch with Molly. There is a hilarity the ensues when we are altogether, an on-set of laughter as the sunsets and giggles begin. Without fail, each night, I catch myself smiling with tears in my eyes. This life is all mine. These boys love me, one man and one wee little one. This quiet country road, with our beautiful home, was all given to us by Him.


With prayerful thanksgiving, and a grateful heart, we begin anew each day.

And come sunset, we will laugh and sing and play, together.

No comments: